Meet My Mom

When I was a kid, my mom had 2 goldfish on her office desk named Happy and Healthy.

This never surprised me.

With a Master’s in Public Health my mom’s goldfish were great reminders of the importance and focus of her work.

For most of my life she’s been teaching, leading and talking about wellness, prevention and ways to proactively create a healthy and abundant life.

That’s why I want you to meet her.

In our interview she’ll offer ways to think about wellness and wellbeing, plus she’ll share one word that I believe is important for us all.

If you’re going through a challenging time in your life right now, or if you’re looking for great ideas to help you flourish … this interview if for you.

I’m cheering you on!

William

A QUESTION FOR YOU:

What do you do when you are experiencing dis-ease?

Please add your wisdom to the comments below and help inspire others.

By | 2017-12-20T15:03:24+00:00 February 27th, 2017|Inspire yourself|11 Comments

About the Author:

11 Comments

1. Tingletingle May 9, 2017 at 9:35 am - Reply

Great question
    Life can be a real rollercoaster and there are times when we all feel as if we are boxed in by family, work, social responsibilities. We get so busy we fail to notice this sense of dread and dis-ease which slowly climbs its way up our feet until it finally envelopes our entire body and then gives us this constant dull lens through which we see ourselves and our lives. It’s seems hopeless?

Of course there is hope all around us but sometimes we get so caught up we need lovely, timely emails like yours that inspire and challenge us all to think about our wellbeing. Most of us know what we should be doing but then we need a trigger to make us stop and take time out to reflect on our behaviours, attitudes, and personal wellness. Hopefully, the trigger is a simple email rather than a diagnosis of some disease.

Dis-ease is all about being out of balance in life. A lifetime ago I was out of balance and chose to radically embrace a new lifestyle of vegan eating, exercise, and daily meditation. It really worked and took some time to get back into balance. Now, I recognise in the last little bit that I’ve fallen back to my old ways and my stress levels have significantly risen.

So, I’ve decided that I’m stopping everything and getting off the rollercoaster. I’m going to go for a walk in the beautiful sunshine at lunch today and meditate. I’m going to take things one day at a time and get back to eating nourishing, natural foods and gently exercising.

The world tells us through media and advertising that we need to consume more and more to be a success, to be happy we need a big house, flash car, high paying job etc but of course that is all a lie. You can’t be what you were created to be if you’re at dis-ease and you can get so much more out of life by changing your thinking which will lead to changes in behaviour and ultimately greater levels of peace, satisfaction, and sense of control.

It won’t be easy but I’m going to use your cheering me on message as a springboard to rebooting my life and focus on those things that are most important – faith, family, relationships, and wellness.
    Blessings

• William DeJean May 9, 2017 at 9:42 am - Reply

Thanks for your comment. I love the idea of dis-ease being about when we are out of balance. We all get out of balance…the key, like you mention, is knowing when it is happening and knowing what to do about it when it is taking place. Thanks for sharing the important ways you get back into balance. I’m sure a lot of people will find it useful!

2. Susan May 9, 2017 at 9:36 am - Reply

Loved to see your Mom! She is gorgeous and so, so spot on and so clever and vibrant! You know, my Mum says the first thing to do to feel positive is to wear bright clothes and ditch the black. Sends out positive energy to all you meet. Of course, I never listen to her:)

• William DeJean May 9, 2017 at 9:39 am - Reply

Thanks Susan for your kind words about my mom. Love the idea of wearing bright clothes rather than black!

3. Karelynne Randall May 9, 2017 at 6:02 pm - Reply

What a beautiful, informative and inspirational video! Thanks to you both for bringing to light awareness of the word ‘dis-ease.’
    To know of it’s meaning is to acknowledge being ‘out of alignment’; in all aspects, as your Mom has said.
    The greatest gift is to acknowledge when you need attention in whatever way that might be, and act on being kind to yourself.
    I call that becoming ‘response-able’ and allowing whatever nurturing will help return you to a place of peace and happiness.
    All the very best in health and happiness to both of you. 🙂

• William DeJean May 10, 2017 at 9:49 am - Reply

Hi Karelynne, thanks for your wonderful ideas. Hopefully you will see Robyn’s comment about your response-ale. Thank you for sharing it!

4. Robyn Moloney May 10, 2017 at 9:28 am - Reply

Great video William, many thanks to you and your Mom, I loved it. And thanks to those who made the comments above me too, for building shared understandings. Its interesting to me how the breaking down of language reveals lost meanings: Dis-ease, and I especially like response-able, a wonderful new meaning!. Thankyou for the nurture! all best wishes

• William DeJean May 10, 2017 at 9:48 am - Reply

Hi Robyn, I agree about the power of language and how it can really help us see things in so many ways. I think the idea of dis-ease is such a powerful way to understand when we are off and how to get back on track. So is Response-able. Thanks!

5. Doug Williams May 10, 2017 at 11:42 am - Reply

Great video William. I enjoyed what your mom shared.
    I have been an educator for 34 years, and I have always been a proponent of living a balanced life.
    That to me is balancing professional with physical, mental, social, and spiritual.
    These areas mean different things to different people. For example, physical…to me…means exercising, eating right, and getting plenty of sleep. Mental to me is keeping my mind active through reading, taking classes, etc.
    If I can keep these 5 areas balanced, I stay healthy and happy.

• William DeJean May 12, 2017 at 7:33 am - Reply

Hi Doug, thank you for your amazing insight and your specific ways you stay healthy. Three cheers for living a balanced life.

6. Clavelle Avery June 15, 2017 at 7:52 am - Reply

Dr. DeJean,
    Thank you for your simplicity and generous spirit.

In response to your “Meet-my-Mom video I just have to say that it came at a time of self-discovery for me

I have always taken my good health for granted. Now that I have a bionic heart (pacemaker installed) following a heart attack (which I thought was simply incorrect yoga breathing.. Yes, really!) I realized I wan’t paying attention to that important word, BALANCE. I was “too busy”. I didn’t recognize the root of my own Dis-ease. Balance is everything! Work hard, relax, play and most of all, feel joy. Don’t forget kindness is the glue that keeps it all together.

As a lecturer regarding the process of aging gracefully, I’ve always opened with the phrase, “Age is an attitude”, not beauty hype. While I whole-heartedly believe this, I now follow with a segment about awareness.

Step out of your comfort zone, get out of your zip code! Play and continue to learn and grow!

A big thanks to you and your mom and always the best,
    Clavelle